Nationwide Group Responsible Lending Statement
The Mortgage Works (TMW) is the specialist lender of Nationwide Building Society. Nationwide and TMW are committed to being a responsible lender who acts in the best interests of its customers. This means we have a responsibility to our customers to be open and honest, and to treat them fairly. These commitments underpin everything we do and the way we lend money is no exception.
Our Responsible Lending customer commitments are described below. These explain what you can expect from Nationwide when you apply for a mortgage with us or when you request a variation to an existing mortgage.
Please remember that our leaflet ‘How The Mortgage Works and Nationwide use your information’ explains how we use personal information. Please read this carefully. If you’ve got any questions please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
What you can expect from us as a responsible lender when applying for a mortgage
- Products designed to meet your needs which we will promote in a balanced way, showing the risks as well as the benefits.
- Clear information on the cost of borrowing, any fees and charges that apply and our terms and conditions.
- A robust assessment of your ability to make regular payments and to repay the loan, based on your current circumstances and allowing for any known or foreseeable changes.
- The use of credit scoring for all new lending to ensure a fair and consistent approach to deciding whether we will lend, underpinned by an underwriter assessment if appropriate.
- Under strict controls we may share data with other lenders to improve the quality of our decisions, to reduce the risk of customers becoming over-committed and to prevent financial crime.
- Personal information is treated confidentially and in accordance with Data Protection legislation. If you want to find out more, please visit ‘How The Mortgage Works and Nationwide use your information’
- Reasonable notice of interest rate and payment changes affecting you.
- Prompt and professional handling of any queries or complaints you may have.
- Considerate treatment in the event of financial difficulties or arrears.
In return, what we ask of you:
- Provide accurate and complete information on your application, particularly with reference to any information that may impact our assessment of affordability.
- Regularly assess your borrowing and other financial commitments and contact us as soon as possible if you are experiencing, or expect to experience, any money worries.
- Read and understand the terms and conditions on which the money is borrowed, seeking further information and help if needed.
- Ensure you are comfortable with the level of borrowing requested (up to the maximum we will lend based on our own assessment).
- Ensure you have the means to repay the loan at the end of the agreed term if any borrowing is on an Interest Only basis.